Monday, October 10, 2016

How Composting Blew My Mind (before I even started!)



As promised, I have begun composting! Well, almost; I’ve begun the process of researching composting. So I'm getting closer! For the last few weeks I’ve been scouring the internet for articles, videos, and blog entries “breaking down” the wonderful world of composting.

This is a large, wooden bin used for composting.
The photo is taken from a great article  on the how-to's of composting found on DIYNetwork.com

So far I've learned quite a bit and I think I am finally ready to begin!

But before I do, and before I write all about it (which I will), I was inspired to first write about how amazing Mother Nature is! Whenever I set out to learn something new (often related to food) I am constantly finding myself in awe of the sublime perfection inherent in nature. This was no exception.

The first thing I learned about composting is that in essence it's merely the process of decomposition, which would happen naturally if us humans didn’t interfere. Everything organic (which is basically everything nature creates) decomposes in time (it’s all very Zen, isn’t it?) Other organic substances, like microorganisms and natural elements (air, water, heat, etc.) aid in this process. In so doing, the decomposing (or rotting) substance helps to feed its environment and once fully broken down, returns to the earth in the form of soil.

Photo taken from Sheknows.com
This soil is alive with nutrition “given” from the decomposed substance. Helpful bacteria work to breakdown the rotting material, in effect creating fertile soil. From this soil healthy plants are born. Bees, butterflies, birds, humans, and so many other animals depend on these plants for essential, life sustaining nutrients. In fact, all life that exists on our planet depends on this process either directly or indirectly.

This blew my mind!!! It’s the root of all alchemy. It’s proof that our planet is alive, eating, breathing, digesting and regenerating itself constantly. We can’t afford to starve ourselves any longer!

It also proves that the best things in life really are free. Essentially, it costs nothing to compost. If you throw all organic matter back to the earth, the process of composting occurs naturally. In time, rich, fertile soil results, which bares our most valuable and necessary resource: food.

So there you have it, money DOES NOT make the world go round. Composting does! In addition to offering an expense-free way to cultivate a gorgeous garden, it provides an elegant solution to the current predicament we now find ourselves in: how do we reduce or eliminate waste? Composting might be trendy, but it's also how Mother Nature intended, which is why everyone should give it a try.

Photo taken from Azulhome.com

There may be unforeseen difficulties (i.e. funky smells or attracting pests), but isn’t that always the case? Although I have yet to officially begin my own compost, I feel that the ends certainly justify the means, no matter the pesky details. It's time to invest more than just money; let’s invest life into our bodies, and into the body of Mother Nature. After all, they are one and the same. We are one and the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment