Thursday, April 14, 2016

From Stir Crazy to Stir Fry: The Color Cure


Taste the rainbow. No. I'm not referring to skittles.

Amidst these April showers, and sometimes snow showers, I'm feeling a bit impatient for the season's transformation. I know summer is coming, and it will probably be hot as hell thanks to global warming, but honestly, if I wake up to one more cold, wet, white day, I might lose it.

Let's face it, we all need some color during these transitions. If not in the sunshine and blue sky, then at very least, on our plates. Which is why I've had a colorful week, food wise. I've indulged in everything from homemade turmeric and ginger spiced tea to brilliantly hued vegetable & tofu stir fry.

I don't know which was pleased more, my sense of taste or of sight.




A Stir Fry to keep from going "Stir Crazy"

In fact, I was so happy with my stir fry that I felt the need to share, which is why you can find the recipe posted in the TASTE tab, located on the top of this page. Or just click here. I've made this stir fry in the past, but never before has it come out so luscious, so succulent, and so aromatic and fresh tasting as it did this past Sunday.

The reason why? Well, I cook with love, but also with fresh turmeric and ginger, grated by hand into the sauce. I didn't add very much, but the difference in taste was indubitable; I struggle to find the right words because I honestly don't know how to explain it. Those who cook with fresh herbs and roots probably know what I'm talking about, but those who don't would be as amazed as I was at how freshly earthed spices can enliven your entire meal and and reinvigorate those tastebuds. It's like tasting the earth, deep & mineral rich; the place where mother nature keeps her most precious creations.

Speaking of which, I also added fresh garlic, fresh pineapple, and all fresh veggies to ensure not only the tastiest and most colorful, but also the most nutritious stir fry possible. The best part was that I didn't need to add any artificial or sugary sauces because the raw ingredients were already bursting with flavor.

Here are some more colorful foods I indulged in this week, equally tasty and equally psychedelic:


What do we have here? A veggie burger too big for its bun! Now this is how you wake up a hibernating burger, just add avocado, cheddar cheese, sautéed portobello mushrooms & onions, sliced heirloom tomatoes & a small squeeze of mustard/ketchup. The only thing missing? You guessed it, a crisp pickle!

This is my first time buying a papaya! At least the whole fruit.  I was surprised by how soft and tender the skin and fruit flesh inside were, My knife cut through the juicy delicacy like butter!

Fresh papaya is a sight for sore eyes, and tastebuds.













A colorful breakfast: spinach, portobello & egg on toast with home made turmeric & ginger tea



Adding Turmeric to my tea.



Another shot of my gorgeousss stir fry, just because there's no such thing as too much beauty!


Fresh Turmeric









No comments:

Post a Comment