Wednesday, January 6, 2016

In Defense of Vegetables

Autumn, 1573. Guiseppe Arcimboldo. Musée du Louvre 


“I HATE VEGETABLES”

I have heard this statement spoken too many times, and my inevitable response is always: Why would anyone hate vegetables? Seriously though, veggies are incredible! They're packed with nutrition and energy, help fend off disease and illness, they're lovely to look at (Guiseppe Arcimboldo thought so!), and best of all, they add depth of flavor and interest to otherwise boring food. The only possible explanations are that some of you have not eaten enough, are under the age of twelve and therefore by definition do not like, or you just don’t know how to unlock their goodness, which is the most likely reason. Therefore, in an effort at conversion, here are a few ways to discover the awesome sublimity of vegetables!

One of my favorite vegetables is kale. I know, I know, kale is a trendy veggie these days, and those who don’t like it probably believe those who do are jumping on the Brooklyn bandwagon. But in all seriousness, kale is so delicious and so versatile that I can’t understand how anyone could not like it, especially the way I eat it.

A new favorite: sea-salt & vinegar kale, curried-pineapple & garlic chicken, fresh baguette

My absolute favorite way to prepare kale is sautéed with olive oil, sea salt, and (my favorite part) apple-cider vinegar (pictured above). I am seriously addicted. It’s so simple to make that once you get the hang of it you will be kicking yourself for not trying it sooner. However, there are still things one must keep in mind to create the perfect sautéed kale, see below:

1) Choose your kale wisely, not all kales are created equal. I have tried many varieties of kale (including an ornamental kale that I bought accidentally while in Paris-don’t eat that!) but my favorite is extra fluffy red kale that I purchase at Whole Foods Market. Look for a vibrant purplish-red color, and fluffy, but firm (no drooping) leaves in the produce section. I have bought other types that I liked also, but I have found that some are too bitter and others, like pre-packaged kale or baby kale does not hold it’s texture when sautéed.

2) Carefully rinse each stalk and trim leaves from stem.

3) Place in sautéing pan, adding a generous pour of olive oil, a moderate shake of sea salt, and-this is important-a small amount of apple-cider vinegar. Too much and you will be coughing up a lung. I usually don’t measure because I make it so much, but for two servings of kale (approximately half the stalks in a bunch) I would use two tablespoons, maybe three if you really like vinegar, like myself. But remember, you can always add more, though you can’t take away what’s been added.

4) Lastly, let it burn! There are only a few foods that I like cooked to a crisp, bacon is one, and kale, surprisingly, is the other. Unlike regular kale chips, which are baked, sautéed kale keep more flavor, but still crisps nicely. Cook over low heat for 15-20 minutes (until leaves are brownish and texture if visibly changed, try one if you're not sure.)

So that’s how you sauté perfect kale. Please take note that in addition to the nutritious benefits of kale, you are only adding three other ingredients: olive oil, sea salt, and vinegar, all of which are incredibly healthy and offer benefits that will leave your body feeling and looking refreshed. But the best part is still the taste. I actually find myself craving kale to the point that I now consider it to be one of my favorite foods. It can easily be prepared two or even three times per week, making for a delicious and nutritious side to your supper. And who knows, in time you might even find yourself jumping on that kale bandwagon too.

But wait, there's more! There are other fab ways of preparing kale besides sautéing; as I already mentioned, you can create “kale chips” by trimming the leaves, seasoning them, and placing them in the oven to crisp up, but also kale makes a great add-in for morning (or anytime) smoothies. My friend Aliza teases me about my obsession with smoothies, and I do really love smoothies, but in all seriousness what’s not to love about a mouth-watering beverage that can be whipped up in 15 minutes or less and provides a powerhouse of vitamins, minerals, and energy? Add in some kale and waa laa, perfection!

So without further adieu, here is one of my favorite smoothies: The Kale-Pineapple. Let me start by saying that I do understand why some people prefer not to drink vegetables, actually I was one of those people. But when I said kale was versatile, there was a reason. The flavor of kale blends perfectly with that of pineapple, it is just mild enough to absorb the abundance of sweetness that pineapple provides while adding to the hydration and refreshment that makes a smoothie so damned irresistible.

And the Kale-Pineapple is no exception, it’s seriously succulent. I use fresh pineapple (more if you like sweeter, less if you don’t), pre-packaged organic baby kale leaves (I like Earth Bound Farms Organic) and I add in a generous amount of organic, plain, fat-free yogurt, ground flax and chia seeds, coconut milk, and any other fruit that that needs to be eaten, like say mango or cantaloupe, and don’t forget the ice. Blend it all up and you have a drink-meal-dessert all in one!

So now that I have shared a few ways of enjoying one of my personal favorite veggies, I hope it will inspire you to enjoy kale for yourself and maybe even come up with a recipe or two of your own! And remember, kale is only the beginning, there are so many veggies out there just waiting for someone to sink their teeth into. So let’s stop the ignorance, the hatred, the unwarranted prejudice against our vegetables! It’s time to act, let veggies save your life and your supper!

You are what you eat
"Chinese Vegetable Art" by Ju Duoqi



Hungry for more? keep an eye out for delicious recipes and unique preparations listed under the Taste tab found at the top of this page. Have a special way of creating the perfect vegetable(s)? Email me (Heathermoynihan@gmail.com) or share in the comments.

















Titillating tilapia with pearled couscous & roasted brussel sprouts 

A lovely salade niçoise











Sumptuous maple acorn squash, roasted rosemary potatoes, garlic-thyme chicken with mushroom 

No comments:

Post a Comment