Wednesday, December 9, 2015

How I Lost 20 Pounds While Eating Pastries: The Anti-Diet Diet (don't call it a diet!)

Me, August 2015
Me, November 2015
                                 

Now let’s get one thing straight. I didn’t lose 20 lbs because I ate pastries; I lost 20 lbs while eating pastries. It might sound like an ad from some cheap infomercial, but if you keep reading I will tell you how I lost the weight and why it’s a good thing (forgive me for stealing your line Ms. Stewart).

Before I get into the meat and potatoes, or croissants and beignets, as it were, I would like to make one more thing clear: I do not diet. I aim to have a healthy, meaningful relationship with food and I don’t believe in cheapening that relationship by putting artificial and self-absorbed restraints on it. To me that is dieting and I refuse. If you have read my blog before, then you know that I care about health, in a holistic sense, but I have little patience for what can only be described as America’s obsession with vanity and weight loss, which ironically is often pursued at the detriment of one’s own health.

How do I know this? I know it because I've lived it. I've struggled with weight since I could remember. I've dieted, exercised, been in and out of my own obsessions with weight and body image. I've been there and done that and I'm over it. Not only does it NOT WORK, it distracts you from the life you were meant to live, and that is a loss you don't want.


Me, March 2015 ( The struggle was real-but hey I was in Jamaica, so how bad could it be? :)

So be advised, this is not diet advice in the traditional sense, nor is it intended to educate anyone on how to “lose weight”; rather this is an honest affirmation of what can happen when well-being is pursued above all else. Please note the paradox: weight loss, which often is paramount for optimal health, can occur naturally when people begin to lead happy, balanced, and meaningful lives. However, weight loss cannot be the central goal or fixation in one's life or else it becomes impossible to realize in a healthy, sustainable fashion. Furthermore, when one loses weight in a natural way*, it will not, I repeat, WILL NOT be the crowning accomplishment and nor should it. 


Think bigger lives, smaller bodies.



Yes I did take a picture of this store window for men's clothing, but it does add a nice visual 

For me, meaningful happiness is the focus and reward of this “diet” above all else, and weight loss is merely a pretty and proper frame that outlines the better picture. But what is the better picture? Let's start by picturing pastries:













You already know that I ate pastries, but not any pastries, the really flaky, buttery, delicious pastries better known as “les pâtisseries” in France. In fact, I delighted in doughy desserts all over Europe; tart au pommes in Paris, pain au chocolate in Parma, bethmännchen in Brugge, and need I mention the copious amounts of croissants throughout? you name it, there's a good chance I ate it. But as I said, this is not how or why I slimmed down, not exactly.

The two months I spent in Europe went like this: I ate what I wanted when I wanted. Simple right? Now here is the shocker that I will share with you: I actually ate much less than I did in the States. Why? The simple answer is because I was very satisfied with what I ate** so smaller portions seemed to happen naturally. 

The more complex answer moves into the realms of the human psyche. I can't tell you why humans need what they need, but I will tell you that I am human, or so I believe, and I need to engage all my senses in the experience of living in order to achieve even a sliver of satisfaction. This doesn't mean hearing, tasting, seeing, touching, and sniffing the usual daily stimuli, it means utilizing each sense to learn and create something new, as often as possible.

For most of us, day-to-day life doesn't germinate such appeasement naturally, but when we travel (cruises don't count) we are forced to put our senses to work/play. In Europe I could not take even the most basic detail for granted; simple behaviors like when to cross the road, how to turn on a light, even flushing the toilet proved to be "foreign" and required mindfulness. When it came to more complex interactions, like say, approaching a stranger or finding a destination, I had to take note of every detail in order to successfully achieve my aim. While doing this I found myself completely immersed in the moment, there was no room for second guessing, anxiety, or boredom. I simply was. And as a result I learned a great deal, some of which I will inevitably forget, but certain things, like the way it feels to find my way or connect with a complete stranger, I hope to never lose. 

So how does this relate to weight loss? It really comes down to efficiency: eating what you need and none of what you don't. All of that paying attention to details was exhausting, but as a human I'm designed for it. So when I began living this way, as if by magic, my focus became clear, my senses grew alert, all of my internal problems faded from consciousness. And throughout each day I was very, very hungry. 

But the food I craved was good food to support the high amount of energy I was expending. There was no difficulty in choosing what to eat because I wanted to eat what my body needed, I craved nutrient rich food, as in a balanced meal with healthy carbs for energy, nutritious veggies, perhaps a sliver of fresh meat/fish for added protein (sometimes), and to complete the ensemble, a touch of sweetness (think fruit or a few bites of pastry). What's more is that the food was always of good quality, prepared with love, and savored to show gratitude. Now that's the right way to eat!


Cabbage salad with grilled chicken, eggs, avocado and balsamic


Tart au framboise for dessert!

In theory I knew all of this before setting sail, but putting it into practice meant breaking out of a rut that was three years in the making. It meant shaking addictions to pointless/wasteful foods like potato chips and condiments, quelling my daily habit of waking up late, and most importantly, ensuring that everyday was a day I cared enough about to set a goal and achieve it. 

For me, Europe made this possible. What I already knew in theory became actualized through good food and even better quality of life. I wanted to see new places, meet new people and learn as much as I could, and I did, everyday. Food became more pleasurable than ever before, but it also became just one of so many pleasures. 

Now that I am back home, I have had to adjust to a simpler life where I don't have access to freshly baked baguettes and can no longer experience a new culture on a daily basis. But that doesn't mean that I've had to give up good food or forgo learning. I am more adventurous in my kitchen than ever before and everyday I awake hungry to learn. I care more deeply for the decisions I make because I see how those decision connect me to my life, to the world, and ultimately determine my happiness. This has created a burning fire, an energy with which to accomplish my dreams and to lead a life abundant with meaning. Needless to say this all requires quite a bit of concentration and good food to keep it coming.

I've been home one month and if you're wondering, I have not gained a single pound since returning, not that it matters! In fact, I've continued to lose weight and am loving how light and toned my body feels. More than that though, I am loving how much energy I have to put towards achieving the life that I want, which in my view is always the better picture.


Me walking through the narrow streets of Venice, Italy


*"natural way"- For the purpose of this entry, I am using this expression to indicate a method of losing weight that occurs in accordance with the lifestyle I describe throughout this entry, i.e. with healthy foods and an active, meaningful lifestyle in combination with sensory stimulation. 

**"what I ate"- The photos really tell much of the story, but I am specifically referring to the better quality of the food in regard to origin (produced locally), minimal, if any chemicals/pesticides/preservatives added, means of purchase (from a small business/local vendor who cares about product and customer), and of course the actual makeup of the food (nutrients/vitamins, sugars, fats, etc.,)

No comments:

Post a Comment